Lockdown ruled out despite rise in virus cases

THERE are no plans for a lockdown in Bahrain, revealed a top health official, despite a rise in cases in recent weeks.

Health Ministry Under-Secretary Dr Waleed Al Manea urged the public to refrain from gatherings and strictly adhere to precautionary measures following the spread of a new variant of Covid-19.

He was speaking at a Press conference yesterday at the Crown Prince Centre for Training and Medical Research.

“We have seen an unprecedented rise in the number of cases recently,” he said.

“The number of active cases was 114 on November 22 last year. We registered 896 cases on February 12 and this is a dangerous trend.”

Dr Al Manea said evidence through continuous monitoring and follow-up has revealed that gatherings – family or private – have led to the spike.

“The evidence is right in front of our eyes, there is negligence and there were weddings, birthdays and graduation parties.”

He denied claims that the rise was linked to the vaccination drive.

“There are countries that have started vaccination and after a while the spread of the virus and number of active cases decreased. This has been scientifically proven,” he said.

“Some people however assume that the vaccine gives full immunity – it doesn’t. It will reduce the symptoms and it will not protect those who haven’t been vaccinated.

“There is a large segment of society that can’t be vaccinated which are those under 18 which means they are also capable of spreading the virus so adhering to safety measures is critical.”

Dr Al Manea said the capacity at isolation and treatment centres is 5,499 of which 1,750 are occupied – at 30.2per cent while a total of 5,798 cases are currently at home isolation for being asymptomatic.

He also highlighted that recovery rate had reached 93pc while deaths accounted for 0.55pc of cases.

Dr Al Manea also debunked claims that contacts of active cases weren’t traced.

“The ministry has spared no efforts by following up more than 300,000 contacts of active cases,” he said.

He highlighted that a large team – working round the clock – comprised of different authorities is dedicated solely for contact tracing.

“Citizens and residents need to be truthful when providing information about people that they have been in contact with if they test positive,” he said.

“There are people who refuse to reveal that they had been in contact with an active case. This is a violation that is punishable by law.

“It’s more importantly a national responsibility.

“We want to identify those who have come in contact with an active case to contain the spread of the pandemic and provide prompt treatment if they test positive.

“We have our protocols in place but unfortunately there are individuals who are irresponsible and negligent and hide information.

“We know and trust that the community of Bahrain will come through.”

 

Source: https://www.gdnonline.com/Details/936281/Lockdown-ruled-out-despite-rise-in-virus-cases

 

Share this page Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on Linkedin
Close

Discover the 'Made in France à Bahrain' Guide

'Made in France à Bahrain' - Edition 2021
is YOUR guide to the economic presence in Bahrain. Click here to view the online guide